This weeks has been a week of firsts for me, which has kept me super busy. I made my first pattern this week which meant I had to battle with Illustrator and other programs that aren't much fun when you don't really know how to use them. Unfortunately the pattern won't go public until December, but as soon as it does I'll let you know. My second first this week was making a font! This involved more Illustrator battles, although I have to say I'm improving. I also had to learn FontLab which was entirely new to me. I don't have a lot of patience when I'm learning new programs, I just want to be able to see immediate results! But I made it through in the end, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately I can't share the font with you either because I haven't worked out how to get it into my blog set-up.
Other than that I've been using any spare moments to prepare for next weekend - Brisbane Finders Keepers! Super cute poster! This time I'll be going on a road trip and driving up, should be fun. If you're in Brisbane next weekend drop by the market and say hi!
A couple of months ago I ordered a bunch of fabric online, one of the fabrics was a fluffy furry piece I was hoping to make yetis out of. When it arrived it was a whole lot furrier than I had expected and I wan't too sure how it'd work! One of the great things about ordering online is that you usually get a bit of a surprise when you open the box as it's never quite what you expected. So with winter closing in I thought it was finally time to get out this super furry fabric and make something. Here's what emerged - a yeti/troll creature named Sigrid.
The great thing is she can wear her hair in so many different ways!
Sigrid is now available in my shop.
I hope everyone had a great long weekend! Mine was very relaxing, filled with movie watching and catching up with friends and family. The two movie highlights of the weekend were The Future by Miranda July and The Forgiveness of Blood byThe Future
In other news, there's an interview with me about my exhibition on the Sweets Workshop website if you'd like to have a little read.
This was the last work to be made for my exhibition. I was working on it until an hour before the show opened and finished it just in time! Here it is in the making...
The exhibition opening went really well and the whole thing came together better than I imagined. During the week leading up to the show I scoured around second hand furniture shops and auction houses for things to display my work on, and I ended up finding the perfect objects. I painted them all which you can see in the photos below. If you want to check out the exhibition it'll be on until the 29th June.
Exhibition piece #2! As I mentioned in my last post, this work took much longer than expected. When I look at it now I can definitely see why it took as long as it did, and I've come to realise I'm a time optimist. Making these works is an interesting process, particularly with these incredibly detailed pieces. So many different emotions arise as I work my way through the project. Most of the time it's really enjoyable but there are moments where I hit a wall and get frustrated and impatient and never want to see it again. Luckily that passes fairly quickly and I get excited about finishing a particular section. Once again I've put together a time-lapse-like stop-motion video of the synthesiser in the making, it's about 10 days compressed into two minutes!